Thursday, November 7, 2013

Paper Cylinder Sculpture

(here's my example for this project....this turned out to be really fun!)
 
 
I was browsing pinterest and saw this fun project for younger kids which teaches sculpture techniques and it's a great way to get rid of scraps! How perfect. I am doing this with the 1st graders although all the other grade levels are wanting to make these now!
I demonstrate how to roll up a piece of paper around a pencil and cut little slits in the bottom.

 

One of the objectives is to show variety in the heights, shapes, sizes and colors.













 


 
Fun Friday Project!
I decided to give the kids a fun little challenge for Fun Friday...I'm really lucky to have a great group of 1st graders who can handle anything I throw at them. So, the challenge was to create a paper sculpture using loops this time and they were trying to see who could make the tallest sculpture. I got to say "make sure you're sculpture has structural integrity" ....that was fun.
 
 
Paper Sculpture using loops

 



At the demo, I was discussing the minimum amount of loops they needed to have....
So, I said, "Let's say you need at least....(and I was going to say 10)" and one of my kids chimes in, "at least 20?"  Love it.


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment