Saturday, April 26, 2014

Monograms with 4th Grade

Here’s a project we’ve been working on for the past few weeks. I try to do this project every year with my 4th graders. Most of them really enjoy it, even the boys!

We design our initials on a piece of paper, outline with sharpie and transfer to a piece of burlap by tracing our letters. They add more designs as they finishing stitching their initials. I use the phrase “don’t bite off more than you can chew” a lot with this project.

 

The weather was so nice when we were in the middle of the project, that I took one class outside to work on these. Let’s just say that only happened once.

IMG_3115IMG_3116IMG_3621IMG_3622IMG_3624IMG_3625IMG_3626IMG_3647IMG_3648IMG_3649IMG_3651IMG_3652IMG_3653IMG_3788IMG_3789

I demonstrate how to straight stitch the letters, then I show them how to fill in their letters and designs with satin stitch. Finally, I show them how to cross stitch and tie french knots.

I see my 4th graders at the end of the day…which is not the best scenario for kids who don’t have recess anymore. So, let’s just say I’ve had to relax my teaching style for this grade level. I have to pick my battles. At the end of the day, if they’ve made something, I’m happy.

IMG_3833

No comments:

Post a Comment