Sunday, March 10, 2013

Collagraph Prints with 3rd Grade


It's printmaking time in 3rd grade and I chose to do this collagraph fish project again because last year's results were great! And I am impressed with this year's batch of fish too!

Day One: Cut out the fish...start building up layers.
 



Day Two: Building up lots more layers! Big shapes, medium shapes to small shapes. I got out the paper edger scissors and the hole punchers out for this day.


Day Three: Printing the Collagraphs

I set up one table with paper and brayers/trays. I did 4 different colors and in every color but black I mixed two inks together. It gives the prints an interesting effect...sometimes hombre if the kids are careful not to over mix it.















 
Side Project: Dr.Seuss style fish...painted underwater scene...
 





Oil pastel and tempera paint...these were fun for a one day lesson during Read Me Week
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs. Scobey

    I was google image searching for figure painting and still life painting ( for my textile students) and came across your blog. I cazn't possibly leave without sending you a huge BRAVO for the quality and enthusiasm your students evoke in their work. But no wonder....you are offering them brilliant programs and materials to really tax their imaginations I a bet your class is so relaxed and fun that any inhibitions would melt away. I was totally blown away! In my neck of the woods, where I used to do an "artist in the school grant" for many years, the state of the arts in elementary school is abysmal. Truly heartbreaking with kids being given copies of a turkey at thanksgiving to color! AARGH. So good on you for yor brilliant work.

    Pamela In Canada

    www.pamelart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pamela,
      Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate you taking the time to say all that! We have a great time and I often wonder why I didn't have these opportunities as a child, so I am definitely making up for my lack of art training as a youngster.

      Thanks again,
      Erin Scobey

      Delete